The Greek Welfare Centre provides various programs designed to maintain the health and wellbeing of older people in the community; increasing their social networks, participating in fun activities, attending outings, engaging in gentle exercise, sharing a meal, and the opportunity to enhance individual creativity, all within a friendly environment.
Our health and wellbeing programs are designed to:
- support older people to maintain their independence by increasing their access to and equity of services
- encourage older people to take responsibility for maintaining good health and well-being, delaying or reducing the need for formal community services
- empower older people with appropriate knowledge and information to enable them to make decisions and choices on matters affecting their daily life
- support carers of older people to maintain their social networks, support their independence, take a well-earned rest, enjoy the company of others, share fun times, learn interesting facts and prevention strategies.
- act as a doorway for the Greek elderly to access, support, information, referral, and connect to appropriate services and service providers.
Carer Support Group
Carers are those who provide care and support for family members or friends who have a chronic illness, terminal illness, mental illness, disability or who are frail. Although carers often speak about how rewarding it is they are often quite reluctant to admit how tiring and stressful it can be.
The Greek Welfare Centre provides a monthly Carer Support Group for carers. The support group is an excellent opportunity for carers to have a break, socialise with other carers, access helpful information about available services and go on outings. The Centre also hosts an annual full day retreat option for carers. Respite can be provided for carers to attend the Group.
Art & Craft Group
- Opportunity to socialise and interact
- Enhance and share your creativity
- Relaxing fun atmosphere
- For seniors
- Increase fitness and balance; improve your general health and wellbeing
- Improve mobility, flexibility, strength, stamina and bone density
- Decrease arthritic symptoms and falls
- Incorporates cultural music (Greek)
- The Hall of the Anglican Parish of Lockleys, Cnr Henley Beach Rd & May Tce, BROOKLYN PARK
- 9:00am–10:00am & 10.00am–11:00am
- Monday and Thursday
- Beulah Road Community Hall, 31 Beulah Road, NORWOOD
Facilitated by qualified instructor
- For seniors
- Gentle exercise, social interaction, relaxed nature walk
- Enjoy the beautiful Botanical Gardens and then savour a cup of coffee, a chat and an opportunity to discuss and share at the kiosk
- Adelaide Botanical Gardens
- 10:00am – 11:30am
- Tuesday and Thursday
Facilitated by a volunteer
- Introduction to computers
- Use of the Internet
- Social networking: Facebook and Skype
- Setting up an email account
- Google Earth/Maps